Hwacheon Sancheoneo(Mountain Trout) Ice Festival
The Hwacheon Sancheoneo (Mountain Trout) Ice Festival will be taking place at Hwacheon county in Gangwon-do. This virtually untouched region is known as the first area in Korea that freezes over in winter, and the river is covered with a thick layer of ice. Visitors can try ice fishing, and those who are feeling brave can try to catch the mountain trout with their bare hands. Many other fun activities and performances are available, including an exhibition of ice sculptures that took 20 weeks to prepare. Visitors can also sample raw and grilled mountain trout, both of which are delicious.
Top 3 reasons to join this tour
1. Experience the real Winter by catching fish under your feet while snow is falling on you.
2. The perfect getaway during Winter.
3. This festival has been declared one of the Seven Wonders of Winter by CNN
During Winter, the weather in Seoul is so!!!!! cold, but I went to Hwacheon city, Gangwon province, the coldest city in Korea. Let’s go to the real Winter! Follow me!
The pickup location is near Gwanghwamun station(Line 5) exit 6. Since the bus cannot park directly next to exit 6 of Gwanghwamun station, the bus was parked in front of Donghwa Duty Free Shop which was 30 seconds away from the exit 6.
As I approached the bus, a friendly English speaking staff was there to greet me!
Luckily, I arrived a few minutes early because the bus departed exactly on time. Don’t be late!!
Usually it takes 2 and a half hours to 3 hours from Seoul to Hwacheon. I went to the festival on Saturday morning, and it took 2 hours and 45 minutes.
When you get off the us, make sure to follow your guide and don’t get lost as there are a lot of people.
This tour fee has included entrance fee and lunch. If you miss the guide, you have to pay them separately ;(
The entrance fee is ￦8,000 for foreigners and ￦12,000 for Koreans and which includes ￦5,000 coupon that can be used to buy fishing rod or food at the festival.
But lucky I joined this tour, so the entrance fee was included. 😀
Finally, it’s time to fishing! There were various kinds of fishing rod on sale. But I just chose the simplest one(￦5,000)
The place we went to was for foreigner’s only. It seemed less crowded than the other fishing areas.
The guide will help you to attach the ticket on your coat, so you don’t have to worry that you will loose it.
If you are a first timer like me, I’m sure this tips will help you!(maybe not…haha)
1. Unwind the fishing line until the hook reaches the bottom.
2. Slowly move your fishing rod up and down.
3. When you see fishes swimming near by, don’t move the rod.
4. When you see the fish falling for your hook, PULL HARD!!! and catch your fish.
After you caught your fish, don’t worry! There were Ajeossies to help you to put into the bag.
He looked so helpless… sorry….
Everyone can catch and bring away a maximum of 3 fishes in this cutely designed bag.
Okay.. so here goes my confession..
I only caught one…;(
Guess what’s better than catching fish right beneath your feet? It’s to cook and eat that fish right away 😀
In addition to ice fishing, there are also many other ice activities which you can do.
Bare-hand fishing competition is one of the most famous activities in the festival although I didn’t join…
It was equally fun to watch them.
If you want to join, simply register one hour before at the bare-hand fishing area.
– Price : ￦8,000 won for foreigners, ￦12,000 for Koreans
– Includes : T-shirts, shorts, locker and foot bath after the competition.
– Time :
Weekdays – 11am, 12pm, 13pm, 14pm, 15pm
Weekends – 10am, 11am, 12pm, 13pm, 14pm, 15pm, 16pm
If you are like me who is not brave enough to go bare-hand fish at negative temperatures, walking around the area was equally enjoyable.
For me I enjoyed slowly walking around the festival area instead of rushing to every single attractions.
But I have collated a list of other attractions that you may like.
Adult : ￦3,000
Under 12 years old : Free
<Indoor ice sculpture square>
Adult : ￦5,000
Foreigners : ￦3,000
Under 12 years old : free
Here is the price list for outdoor activities
– Mini pirate ship : ￦10,000 per person
– Hammer game : ￦5,000 per person
– Trampoline bungee : ￦5,000 per person
– Mini train : ￦5,000 per person
– Ice sled : ￦5,000 per person
– Zip wire : ￦15,000 for adult/￦8,000 for child (￦5,000 coupon provided)
10:00am – 17:00pm(Last admission is 16:30pm)
Lunch time 12 – 1pm
– Bobsleigh(a huge ice slide) : ￦5,000 per person (￦5,000 coupon provided)
09:00am – 18:00pm(Last admission is 17:00pm)
<Bobsleigh(a huge ice slide)>
Tips for Hwacheon Ice Fishing Festival
1. Wear enough warm clothes and bring heat packs as you will be in the cold the entire day.
2. Prepare some cash. It will be more convenient.
3. Bring your family and friends along!! Share the LOVE!!<3